On February 16, 2020 at 6:18 a.m. Central Arizona Fire and Prescott Fire Dept. responded to a report of a structure fire in the 7700 block of E. State Route 69 in Prescott Valley at the Burger King Restaurant. Upon arriving on the scene, crews saw smoke showing from a roof vent. When firefighters made entry they found minimal smoke conditions but active fire burning in the kitchen hood ventilation system. They extinguished the fire and disassembled the ventilation pipe, as well as thoroughly checking the ceiling and area above for fire extension. The kitchen hood suppression system had activated at an unknown time the night before but flames had reached beyond the highest nozzle in the hood plenum and continued burning. A possible buildup of grease within the hood ventilation system contributed to the spread of the fire.
Restaurants that produce grease laden vapors from cooking have a type 1 hood which requires a hood suppression system. CAFMA’s Fire Prevention Division provides plan reviews and onsite inspections of kitchen hood suppression systems to ensure they are constructed and installed per current code standards as well as ensuring they function appropriately. Fortunately this fire was contained to the ventilation system and did not spread to any other part of the structure. Burger King will be closed for a short period of time and we hope they are able to have their equipment safely repaired and open for business quickly.
Rick Chase, Fire Marshal
Central Arizona Fire and Medical